Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Wheels Up Aug. 1st

Hey everybody!!! I'm so happy to finally have the time to actually get on here myself and update you all on everything that's been going on. First off, I just want to sincerely thank you for the immense show of love and support that I've received from everyone. I'm just blown away at how many people I have in my corner wishing me well and praying for my success. At the end of the day, my success is OUR success so again, THANK YOU!!!

These last few weeks have been a whirlwind of activity, and let me tell you, it has been some of the most challenging fun I've ever had. Everyday people stop by practice to give me their congratulations and well wishes for the Olympics, so we've had the opportunity to really practice on focusing through distractions. With the Olympics being the largest athletic stage in the world, its good to be able to have some similar experiences before I go. I've had the honor of going before the Mayor of Myrtle Beach and City Council to receive the proclamation of "Amber Campbell Day" (what a trip!), and been on numerous TV interviews and newspaper articles. But when its all said and done, my coach Dr. V reminds me that all this won't matter if we don't stay focused on the task at hand. So I'm really thankful that I have him to keep me on track.

My training has really picked up lately. We're not only throwing a large number of throws daily, but the intensity of the throws is increasing too. Dr. V is instructing me on visualization techniques and its improving my throw almost everyday. By the time the 18th gets here for qualifying day, I'll be excited to see how far my distance has improved. Then on the 20th it will be a true battle for the top spot. I can't wait to be in that fray fighting for the Gold!!!! Stay tuned as we will be giving you updates from Beijing all the way through the games. Love you all!

Peace and Blessings,
Amber

4 comments:

James Dominguez said...

Hi Amber!
The Tucumcari contingent is so excited for you. We will be cheering loud and proud for you. Keep training hard and good luck. Most importantly, have fun.

This is so awesome!!!!!!!!!!

Tina said...

Dear Amber,
I can clearly see the little girl you were in that beautiful smile of yours but I can also see what an incredible young woman you have become.
I know your family is bursting with pride and happiness, not just because you will be attending the Olympics, but also, as it appears from your website, you are grounded, focused, thoughtful, intelligent, and of course, beautiful. No matter what happens in Beijing, these are the qualities that got you there and will sustain you in years to come.
I anxiously await your moment on the podium, with that smile, beaming for all the world to see. Good luck!!!
JOY,
Tina Holguin

AO said...

Amber!
Danielle emailed everyone I think she probably knows - telling us about you! Even though I have never met you before:), I am very proud of you! It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to get where you are right now. So go ALL the way girl and bring home the gold!!!!! Think about all the people you KNOW are rooting for you right now.... now think about the ones you don't even know about - like me!!!!!! Must be an amazing feeling! We're cheering for you! Austin

Anonymous said...

Amber,

Good Luck! We know that you will make the USA proud.

-Thom, Kirsten, Rhiannon and Chad

The Van Demark Family

Twitter AmberCampbellThrows

Throws Information

Throwing formats
In Olympic throwing events -- men's and women's shot put, discus, hammer and javelin -- the competition begins with a qualifying round in which the entire field is divided into two or more groups. In this round, competitors take turns attempting to reach a pre-set distance that automatically advances them to the final. If fewer than 12 athletes meet the distance required from direct qualification, the 12 competitors with the best throws, plus any athletes tying for 12th, advance to the final. In the final round, competitors take turns until each has attempted three throws. At this point, the top eight-ranked competitors (plus ties) receive three more throws. The best throw of the six is counted and the athlete with the longest throw is declared the winner. In case of a tie, the second-best throw is consulted.

Amber In her MJOLNIR Armor

Amber In her MJOLNIR Armor
Amber takes Gold at the Indoor Nationals

Olympic Trials 2008

Celebrating with the Campbell's

Indoor Championship 2009